This letter is about how St. Luke’s monitors pupil attendance in line with our attendance policy.
It is the school’s legal responsibility to monitor pupil attendance and punctuality, the National Average is 96%
Consistent and punctual attendance by pupils is essential if they are to take full advantage of the educational opportunities provided by the school.
At the start of each school day the following procedures take place:
- School doors open at 8.50am and close at 9:00am prompt.
- The teacher completes the register by 9.00am.
- Any child arriving after 9.01am will receive a late mark.
- Any child arriving after 9.30am will be entered on the register as an unauthorised absence.
Punctual attendance at the start of each school session is expected of every child except when:
- The pupil is ill or prevented from attending by any unavoidable cause;
- The pupil’s absence for other reasons than above has been authorised by the school.
- If your child is unable to attend school we ask that you contact school by 9:00am at the latest. You are able to leave a message on the answer machine anytime day or night.
- If any child is unaccounted for, the school office will use the contact numbers you have given us to establish a reason for absence. It is essential that we have the current contact numbers for every child. Please inform the office of any change of number or contactable person as soon as they change.
- If school is not able to make contact via the telephone, two members of staff will carry out a home visit. This is in line with the school safeguarding procedures.
- If there is no one at the home address we may seek to contact other family members and if we feel necessary we may engage the support of local agencies such as Children’s Services and the local police team to establish your child’s safety.
- Absence without a valid reason or unacceptable explanation will be treated as unauthorised.
If the school does not agree absence and the pupil goes on holiday, absence is unauthorised. If parents keep a child away for longer than was agrees, any extra time is recorded as unauthorised. This could lead to the pupil losing their school place.
- School finishes at 3.15pm prompt and children are collected from the relevant playgrounds/classrooms.
- At 3.25pm any remaining children are taken to the office and the office team will contact parents by telephone.
- If we are unable to make contact with any family member by 4:00pm we may engage the support of local agencies such as Children’s Services and the local police team to establish your child’s safety.
Please think very carefully about your child’s attendance at school and any decision you may make to keep them off as they will miss out on the education they deserve.
Miss M Michael