The Nursery staff here at St Luke's are dedicated to providing high quality teaching and learning opportunities for the children in our care.
We teach the 7 areas of learning on a daily basis through many different ways.
- communication and language
- physical development
- personal, social and emotional development
- understanding the world
- expressive arts and design
Here are 7 great ways to learn at home!!
- Sharing books and stories - telling stories and talking about pictures in books helps children to learn and understand new words and also develop a love of reading.
- Singing songs and rhymes - singing songs and rhymes together teaches children to predict language structures and develops their vocabulary.
- Playing with letters and sounds - playing games with the shapes and sounds of letters is a fun way of introducing children to language and early reading.
- Setting up a play date - babies and young children learn through play. Playing together helps children develop the skills they need to communicate well and socialise, especially when they start going to nursery and school.
- Getting out and about - when you go out for a walk or you’re at the supermarket, help children to spot and recognise the signs and words around them. This encourages talk.
- Painting and drawing - making marks and scribbles with a lots of different materials allows children to express themselves, helps their muscles develop and supports early writing.
- Using the library - parents and children can borrow books for free and attend storytelling and rhyme groups.